Earlier on the 2018 Mobile World Congress, HMD Global with Nokia has launched 2 new Nokia smartphones for the mass which includes an entry level Nokia 1 and the premium Nokia 7 Plus flagship. Just in today, Nokia Malaysia has officially launched both smartphones and made it available for Malaysians to purchase. Let’s have a debrief in the launch event today.
Nokia 1 specifications：
- 4.5 inches IPS LCD display（480×854 resolution）
- MT6737M（Quad-core 1.1GHz Cortex-A53）
- 1GB RAM+8GB ROM（Supports microSD expansion）
- 5MP rear camera（LED flash, 480p resolution）
- 2MP front camera
- 3.5mm earphone jack
- Bluetooth 4.2，A2DP
- FM radio
- HTML 5 browser supported
- Dual SIM standby
- microUSB 2.0 audio jack
- Runs on Android 8.1 Oreo Go
- 2150mAh removable battery
- Available in red and blue
Nokia 7 Plus specifications：
- 6 inches Corning Gorilla Glass 3 display（1080×2160 resolution）, 18:9 aspect ratio
- Snapdragon 660 SOC（Octa-core 4×2.2 GHz Kryo 260 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 260）
- 4GB RAM+64GB ROM（support microSD expansion up to 256GB）
- Rear 12MP + 13MP Zeiss certified camera（2x optical zoom, background blurring algorithm, Dual PD focus, unlimited zoom, 30fps slow motion capture, dual LED flash, 2160p video recording
- Front 16MP ZEISS certified camera（f/2.0 aperture, 1080p resolution）
- Rear fingerprint sensor
- Fast charging（18W, 9V/2A）
- 3.5mm audio jack
- Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS（A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS）
- FM radio
- USB Type C with USB On-The-GO
- 3800mAh battery
- Runs on Android 8.0 Oreo
- Available in black and white
The Nokia 1 is designed for users with low demand on smartphone performance such as elders or children. It is powered by MediaTek MT6737M processor with 1GB RAM and 8GB ROM. A 2MP front and 8MP rear camera is also brought into the Nokia 1 given the price tag is ridiculously low.
A decent user experience can be expected on the Nokia 1 because it runs on Android Oreo Go that removes some non essential features on Android. It utilizes and optimizes Google Play ecosystem so that app can runs within 512MB to 1GB of RAM. This minimalist Android also comes with a good security and privacy measure and other Google preloaded apps are also optimized for such edition.
Apart from a good firmware ecosystem, the Nokia 1 comes with replaceable Xpress-On covers that resembles mobile phones from the good ol days. It is known for resistant towards minor impact too!
Moving to the Nokia 7 Plus, it comes with a 6 inches Full View zero bezel display with Full HD resolution which is smaller than 5.2 inches Nokia 7 display. Design wise, the 6000 series alloy is painted with 6 layers for a better touch and ensuring good reception in signals for calls and mobile network.
The ZEISS certified front and rear camera not just takes great pictures, but with the support of Imaging Suite that brings multiple shooting modes for selection. With the enhanced Dual Sight and Pro camera mode, you can retain your favourite scenario in the best photo quality possible.
The Nokia 7 Plus belongs to the Android One family that brings enhanced user experience on Android that further promoted with its better security and privacy (and also lesser bloatware!)
For its pricing, the Nokia 1 is priced at RM339 and will be available on 13th April and each Xpress-On covers are priced at RM39.90 (2 pieces per set). However, you can get it for free when you get the Nokia 1 in the promoitonal period.
As for the Nokia 7 Plus, it is priced at RM1699 and it comes with RM300 worth free gifts including bluetooth tripod, tempered glass screen protector, fish eye lens, panaromic lens and micro lens. Both smartphones has now open for pre-order by today.